Multiple Craftgasm

Wherein Karida knits, crochets, embroiders, quilts, does cross stitch, and paper craft (It's not scrapbooking damnit!). But mostly she knits.

Friday, December 29, 2006

like crack cocaine

I am not dead. Yet. I'm helping my mom set up her new house in Sapphire, NC. Seriously in the mountains. And for a city girl like me, it's a stretch. A big stretch. I think we're the only black people in the county. The dry county. Which means no liquor stores or bars. The nearest liquor store is like 40 miles away. And there's nothing to do here but hike and sit on the couch watching satellite tv. You can probably guess which one I'm doing.

I'm posting from the nearest internet I could find. A Christian coffeeshop, Mountain Perk. It's cute, despite the Fox News playing on the television and Christian books. Shockingly, I have not yet burst into flames from proximity to this much bible-thumping holiness. I did tell my mom that if she comes to get me and I'm not here, I'm probably the pile of ashes next to the IBook and messenger bag.

Despite all these shortcomings, the new house is gorgeous. And last night, I saw stars. Actual stars over the mountain. For those who don't live in DC, we don't have stars. We have smog. And street lights of questionable quality. And cranes dotting the skyline. No stars. Even the grumpy, cynical, city girl was impressed.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh my god! A dry county? That means you'll get better moonshine!

    Hey we definitely have to get together. Call me any time! I'm chilling all weekend. We'll figure something out.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Zenknitter LesleyD said…

    Wow! Too much fun! Glad to hear that you are alive and doing well!!! LOL Did you get my package? Take care!!!

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Shadkitty said…

    DRY COUNTY?! OUCH.

    Seriously though, that's awful. About as bad as having to go to the Christian bookstore to post. NC isn't all bad though, the coast is nice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home