Multiple Craftgasm

Wherein Karida knits, crochets, embroiders, quilts, does cross stitch, and paper craft (It's not scrapbooking damnit!). But mostly she knits.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tour de Farce: Rehab for Lapsed Spinners

All of the people doing Tour de Fleece have made me terribly jealous. Particularly Jacki. And watching Travis has made me feel very lame. He's been spinning for less than a month, and already his yarn is more even and consistent than mine. Bastard. And let's not even talk about his yarn dyeing.

So, with that in mind, I've started my own Tour de Farce! It has no particular goals other than "spin more than you had been spinning" and by the end of it, "produce something that doesn't suck ass."

A bit of background. I have a Louet S10 spinning wheel that I hardly touch. I have no time for spinning. None at all. I work 40-50 hours a week and then another 15-20 doing Neighborhood Fiber Co. So I've felt okay not touching the S10. After all, it's not like I don't do fiber-y stuff. And I'm not any good at spinning anyway. I bought the thing on a whim when I started the business with the vague idea that I'd be renting it out as part of some crazy travelling spinning lessons idea that hinged on my former business partner carting the thing around to various locations. Needless to say, we were both crazy and this didn't happen. So, now the wheel sits. And sits. And doesn't get used. And I said to myself, "Self, you are lame. If you want to do something, make time for it." And myself said, okay.

So, Tour de Farce. Starting late and finishing late. It takes 21 days to make something a habit, so 21 days. It'll be like spinning rehab. Behold the fiberish motivation.

Coke Binge Barbie:

and Halloroving:


Part of what made me drool was the exciting fiber combinations that Jacki has been combing up on her homemade hackle. You just can't buy yarn like that. You can't even really buy roving like that. You have to blend it yourself. Or email Jacki and ask her to blend it for you. So we arranged a trade and there you have it. This fiber is too delicious to sit in a bin. It must be spun! So, I will spin it and post pictures on my progress. Let the Tour commence!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should sell it at a really good price to someone....you know, if it's just going to sit around.

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ya I really wanted to spin all the way through the tour, but I'm on my way to Portland to drink beer. I really do want to see what you spin out of those balls tho :) Have fun.

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've taken a mini-spinning hiatus, but I figure since there were 2 rest days in the Tour de Fleece that I didn't take advantage of, that it would be okay. Or not. Whatever. Have fun with the spinning - I hadn't spun in months before the Tour, really, and it was nice to get back into doing it. I'm so stocking up on the bamboo and soysilk from Louet, it's going to be like Christmas when that order comes! Can't wait to get your yarn as well - I'm planning on making out with it for a while before I let it meet the rest of the yarn stash. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home